Sunday 10 October 2010

Plains, trains and auto-rickshaws

Here it is the ramble of India has begun. I've only covered a paltry 2600km thus far so not really going a great distance to bring you tales. I want to stay away from the normal day one blah blah, day two yadda yadda. But then you'll not really know what I've been doing. Well since I've arrived here I have probably spent more time in a motorised vehicle than anything else. A variety of different types. Some feel safer than others, but then the others allow all your senses to be assaulted at once!

Delhi was a clean and sanitised affair due to the worlds media being in attendence for the Commonwealth games. This was a little disappointing if i'm honest. Especially when your told such mad stories about the place from everyone else. I'm sure i'll get the full experience when i head back up there in December. I mean I was on the underground zipping from place to place. Not what I expected at all.

My hospitality upon arrival has been second to none. I'm being spoilt by new friends and new Amma's everywhere i go. I'm in Kerala with beaches close by. I'm off shopping for the local male dress called a Lungi tomorrow. More countries where they don't feel the need to wear pants. Just wrap some cloth around you and bob's your uncle. Life will be less sweaty very shortly.


Delhi Train Station

Hang out with your wang out!

Cormacko enjoying the Indian plains.

Train dinners. The wee tub was called ice cream. It wasn't cold or sealed neddless to say we didn't eat it.

Women working the paddy fields.

Somewhere in India

Another stop at an Indian railway station.

Enjoying the 'high' speed train.

I thought I'd seen long trains in Canada. I think India pips them to the post.

Cormacko tucking into a coconut, which he got from the tree. That he expertly climbed with a ladder!

A temple in North Paravur, where we're currently residing with Vizzy and family.

5 comments:

  1. Nice colourful pics, full of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paltry, my ass. You are clearly miles from home, and it looks amazing. Good to see Cormacko's smiling face too! And of course, I am very impressed that one of your first missions on arrival is dress shopping. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you could have just spent longer in london if you wanted to play about on an underground! All looks too civilized. You need to hippy up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, buddy. And screw all that stuff about shirking societal responsibilities in your first post. I, as a longstanding member of society, officially burden you with the following stand-in responsibilities:

    1) Have fun.
    2) Find a fucking monkey already. And when you do, train it to be your butler. If you don't have a monkey butler drilling holes in coconuts and serving them to you with a bendy straw by next week, I'll consider the trip a total failure. But always remember that no matter how domesticated a monkey is, it'll probably still throw its feces at you. So keep your guard up.
    3) Come back to Edinburgh and hang out with me one day. I'm staying for a while, I've decided. Of course, I demand you stay under your five pound budget so you can stay as long as you need/want to, but it'd be nice to see the epic beard you have after hanging out with Rayner in India. And you know you're going to get one.

    Miss you, big guy.

    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME. i just discovered your blog today. i absolutely love your pictures. *especially* the last one, where you're showing exactly the right expression to be faced with hindu gods...good luck with all that! it's great no REALLY great to see this pictures of you in india. and know you're really there. and a part of that is because i'll steal your room when i get home to scotland! so happy you're there.

    with love, your didi/sister, jennifer x

    ReplyDelete