Wednesday 3 November 2010

on the road again

So three weeks dodging the end of an extended monsoon are over. The backpack has made back onto my back and i'm on the move. The last three weeks in a relatively small town called Paravur has been delightfully Keralan. The idea that India makes you skinny is a massive falicy if you live with Vizzy's mum's fantastic cooking. Three authentically Keralan dishes a day has seen me lose my brad pittesque physique and replace with a more bill murray a la caddyshack! But how can you turn it down when it's so bloody tasty! Amma, (Malyalam for mother) as we called her, thought Fraser and i were too skinny so she fed us. She gave up on Fraser as nothing sticks too him but was quite satisfied with the work she did on me!

Now we cut our guide loose and have set off to Varkala. A beach town just north of Trivandrum. We stopped in Kottayam and went on a backwater boat cruise with Vizzy and some of his friends. Beer was consumed and friends were made. I've also been to the jungle but it rained and our guide unfortunately had to go to hospital so we didn't quite get that deep. But i did see some wild monkeys, which didn't like to stay still for photos. I was quite excited to start using my Malayalam language skills but everyone here's Tibetan or Nepalese. But they all offer a very good price!

Soon it's going to be the very southern tip of India and then the journey all the way North begins. Temples and tundra in Tamil Nadu. So time to learn another whole language! I'm slowly loading photos onto flickr that'll be linked to my blog as it's faster than trying to upload them here. But I'm still on the Delhi - Aluya 55 hour train journey extravaganza so they'll not match up for a while. So i'll probably continue this ramble tomorrow. Till then i'm going to take my bill murray gut to the beach to see if i can catch some rays and some zzzzzzzzzzs.

Ramble on.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment